Thursday 19 April 2012

Hey there crafty fans! I imagine you have found your way to my blog for one of two reasons; you are either a friend (thanks for the support you guys - love you too!) or you are a fellow commuter who fancies a little commute time crafting and is in need of some inspiration. In either case, you are in the right place...


The idea of the blog came to me this morning while I was on my daily commute...
I currently live in East Sussex and commute every day into London Kensington. I need a little 'me' time every morning to set myself up for the day ahead and I often need a way to unwind on the way home. The best way to do that? A little craft session...My commute takes me about 1 hour and 45 minutes each way. Within this time I hope to create at least one project each week which could be hand made by you in either 1 day or 1 week of your travel time. The aim of the blog is to get people crafting on the train or tube and spread a little joy to fellow crafters and commuters alike.


To follow the blog and complete the first craft projects, you would need the following tools from the crafty trade;


The Craft Commuter's essential kit bag;
1 x pair of 4mm needles (small enough to fit in your handbag)
1 x 50g ball of wool (I will specify what I have used for each project)
1 x pair of snippers (small scissors for cutting yarn and threads)
1 x knitting needle (for sewing in ends)`
1 x 5mm crochet hook
1 x hand embroidery needle
1 x small embroidery hoop (approx. 4" circular hoop is perfect handbag size)
Bundle of embroidery floss (Best brand is DMC but any will do!)
1 x reusable cotton bag (plain or ready for upcycling) 
A cute little pouch to keep your kit in : )


There are plenty of small independent haberdashery stores in London including Loop and Ray Stitch which are both in Islington and larger retailers including John Lewis and Liberty's haberdashery departments which will sell all of these items. If you hunt around - you could purchase all items for your kit for between £8-15. There are many upgrade options available on each of the items mentioned - if you are new to crafting my suggestion is that you purchase the basics and see how you get on. There is usually a very helpful member of the sales team available to guide you to the starter options for each piece of kit! 


Watch this space for the first craft project which will be published this week and tell all your crafty minded commuting friends about the blog!


Get ready for the commuter crafting revolution....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @MyCraftyCommute